Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dead Snow

From what I can remember, Norway isn't exactly known for it's horror films. So when I first heard of Dead Snow I was a bit skeptical, but damn. Did those Norwegians prove me wrong. This movie had me cheering in the theater. It does follow a rather typical horror movie plot, but it does so intentionally. Dead Snow doesn't take itself seriously and that is a huge benefit it has going for it. That being said, they really pulled out all the stops in the violence and gore departments. It's funny, action packed and blood soaked.

This movie has some of the best kills out there. So good, in fact, that I'm not even going to describe them here because if you haven't seen this yet I want you to experience them unadulterated. Being from Norway, yes this movie has subtitles. If you don't like subtitles, well then suck it up because otherwise you're missing out on a whole hell of a lot of amazing cinema.

Dead Snow starts off like you've seen a million times in the horror genre and they even take the liberty of pointing that out (thanks to one character who's a movie buff). A group of friends on their way to spend vacation in a cabin. There's a hilarious, yet still eerie visit from a local to set up the back story and then the real fun begins. This movie is the first to really introduce the Nazi zombies to cinema, or at least the most popular. This is a vastly different take on the zombie genre when it comes to why it's all happening. Unfortunately, the zombies here do now follow to standard "Romero zombie" guidelines, but then again, none of this movie really does. I didn't mind it this time around. They had fun with it, and so did we. I would also like to commend them on the music selection. You'll know why once you watch several of the scenes. Great contrast used there.

Was this movie shocking? I am going to say it is. I'm basing this off of some of the kills and a creativity with the use of an intestine. Bravo to director/co-writer Tommy Wirkola. I recommend this to all.

Shock or not? Shock

Film: 5/5
Shock: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment