Sunday, November 21, 2010

Martyrs

I was recently recommended the French film Martyrs. I went into the viewing knowing nothing about the film, which I love doing. I've been on a bit of a French horror kick lately, figured I'd continue it.

This movie opens with intensity, and that doesn't stop the entire film. In fact, it gets more and more and more intense to the point where I wasn't sure if it could really go any further. This film does have parts that are pretty hard to watch, but they aren't there just to gross out or shock. Everything plays into the story.

The story is something that really just blew me away. This film had me guessing up until the very end. I kept thinking I had it all figured out, then it would slap me with something new to prove I really had no idea. And when everything was finally revealed, I was amazed. It is so rare nowadays to find a horror film that keeps you guessing to the end. It is even more rare to have a horror film that has a story that is so unique and fantastic as the one found in Martyrs. I fell in love with this film.

I also wanted to point out something rare this film had. Fantastic child actor casting. Not only do they look exactly like their adult counterparts, but they were fantastic actors. They had to portray some very intense subject matter, and they were damn amazing at it. I was so impressed.

Again, I do not want to give away anything about the plot of this film. It is far too good to be spoiled for you. I recommend this to all. Just remember, it is not for the faint of heart. Make sure you are up for it before watching. I hope you are up for it, because you too will fall in love with Martyrs.

Shock or not? Shock

Film: 5/5
Shock: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment