Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Exorcist

What would a horror movie blog be without mentioning The Exorcist? I saw this movie a number of years ago, but was fortunate enough to see it on the big screen at the Music Box Massacre 4 in Chicago at the Music Box Theatre. What an awesome experience to be able to see an original copy of this film in such a beautiful building. I of course knew all about this movie growing up. It is just such a masterful horror film. Friedkin's direction mixed with the entire cast is a beautiful thing to see.

The way this film starts off, showing this innocent little girl, with such a sweet demeanor really got my on edge. Just expecting what was to come, I felt sorry for her already. The way she changes her attitude and the way she behaves was performed so well by Linda Blair. Then it all begins. The stuff you've seen parodied a million times over. No matter how many times you've seen someone mimic the scenes of this film, it still doesn't lose its shock. That's a sign of a good and truly shocking film.

I think besides all the physical things that happen to poor little Regan, the things that are said are what I found to be most shocking. "Your mother sews socks in hell" is the TV edited version of one of the infamous lines. When they record what she says, and then play it backwards... that sent shivers up and down my spin. Such a great moment in horror movie history. I was shocked by this movie, but also in awe of how a horror movie could harness so much emotion and be just a brilliant film even without the scariness and shock. If you haven't seen this movie, do so today. This is the best exorcism film to date. The latest, laughable attempt from The Last Exorcism was a shame. It literally had me laughing my seat. The only movie to do it right so far came out in 1973. That should tell you something about this film.

Shock or Not? Shock

Film: 5/5
Shock: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment