Monday, March 7, 2011

We Are What We Are (Somos Lo Que Hay)

To be honest, I'm not sure if I've really been introduced to the Mexican horror cinema. Well, it was worth the wait. We Are What We Are was a wonderful way to begin our relationship.

This is a beautiful and dark film about a family of cannibals. Yea, I know what you may be thinking, "flashes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre." and you can go right to hell. Just kidding, but really, We Are What We Are rewrites the entire playbook on the cannibal genre and I couldn't be happier about it.

I'm going to do as best I can to not give away too many details as this is another great film I want people to see.

This film accomplishes the often difficult task of making the viewer cheer for the bad guy. As this family hunts for food of the human variety, I found myself feeling bad when they failed.

This film is gruesome, gritty and all around dark on all levels. It has a wonderful and steady build that leads to a fast-paced and intense climax. I'm not going to tell you what happens because it is all too fun to watch it unfold. Just get your hands on it as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed.

Shock or not? Shock

Film: 4/5
Shock: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment